Confucius Institute Scholarships in China
To support the development of Confucius Institutes, to promote international promotion of the Chinese language and the spread of Chinese culture, as well as to cultivate qualified Chinese teachers and excellent Chinese learners, the Confucius Institute Hanban (hereafter referred to as Hanban )) is launching a “Confucius Institute Scholarship” program to encourage foreign students, scholars and Chinese language teachers to study Chinese at relevant Chinese universities
The application is open to applicants who have a non-Chinese citizenship between the ages of 16 and 35, in good health, (Applicants currently in a Chinese language apprenticeship may not exceed the age limit of 45. Undergraduate student may not exceed age limit of 20).
- Scholarship for Master Programs in Chinese for Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL):
Applicants should have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, a minimum score of 180 in the HSK test (level 5) and a minimum score of 50 in the HSKK (intermediate level) test. Applicants who are able to provide the employment contract or certification after completion of the study by designated labor organizations are preferred.
- scholarship for one-year studies + MTCSOL students: The applicant should submit the employment contract from a specific Confucius institute or a future work organization. The applicant must have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with at least 180 points in the HSK test (level 3) and at least 60 points in the HSKK test (level for beginners).
- scholarship for the bachelor’s degree in Chinese lessons for speakers of other languages (BTCSOL): The candidate must have a high school diploma or higher, a minimum score of 180 in the HSK test (level 3) and a minimum score of 40 in the HSKK test (intermediate level).
- scholarship for one-year students: The application is aimed at students of the Confucius Institute (classroom), Chinese language teachers from overseas, Chinese main students and outstanding performers in the HSK test. International students studying in China currently do not have a scholarship. The candidate should achieve a minimum score of 180 in the HSK test (level 3) and a minimum score of 180 in the HSKK test (beginner level). Alternatively, the applicant should have a minimum score of 180 in BCT (A) and a minimum score of 180 BCT (Speaking).
- scholarship for a semester students: Applicants should have no prior knowledge of China, but have achieved at least 120 points in the HSK test (Level 2) and at least 40 points in HSKK (Beginner level). Alternatively, the applicant should have a minimum score of 100 in BCT (A) and a minimum score of 120 in BCT (Speaking).
- scholarship for four-week students: The application is aimed primarily at students of the Confucius Institute (Classroom), outstanding achievements in the HSK test and outstanding members of the Confucius Institute Magazine. The applicant should submit an HSK or BCT score report and have no experience studying in China.
“Chinese Bridge” (Chinese Masters Competition for Foreign Students) Winners who have been awarded the “Confucius Institute Scholarship Certificate 2016” can apply according to the scholarship indicated on the certificate.
Currently, there are 150 Chinese universities entrusted as hosts of scholarships teaching various subjects such as Chinese for speakers of other languages, Chinese language and literature, Chinese history, Chinese philosophy, traditional Chinese medicine, Chinese music, Chinese dance, etc. For the list of host institutions, click please here
Step 1. Please register on the website of the Confucius Institute Scholarship Program (http://cis.chinese.cn), complete the application form for the Confucius Institute Scholarship online and download the scanned copies of the relevant Evidence high.
Step 2. Ask the Confucius Institutes (Confucius Independent Classrooms) in your countries, Chinese Examination Centers, Education and Culture Areas of the Chinese Embassy and Chinese Consulate, or host institutions in China (for MTCSOL candidates only) to recommend them
Step 3. Wait patiently. Normally, the approval results will be announced within 45 working days of the confirmation of the application documents. After confirmation with the successful candidates, host institutions will send a “Registration Certificate”, a “Visa Application Form for Foreigners in China” (JW202 Form), a copy of the scholarship certificate and other relevant documents to the recommending institutions within 15 working days.
Step 4. Come to China to study.
Scholarship, Criteria and Academic Assessment
The Confucius Institute Scholarship provides full coverage for tuition, accommodation, housing and comprehensive health insurance costs.
The tuition fee is collected as part of the overall planning and use of host institutions for teaching, management, Chinese Language Examinations (HSK / HSKK) as well as cultural and social activities for fellows.
The accommodation fee is charged as part of the overall planning and use of the host institutions, which provide scholarship holders with free dormitories (usually double rooms). For those living outside the campus with the permission of the host institutions are entitled to accommodation allowance from host institutions to month or quarter. The permit criteria are 700 RMB per person on a monthly basis.
The housing allowance is granted monthly by the host institutions. The grant criteria per person are:
- BTCSOL, one-year study, one-semester study: RMB 2500 per month
- MTCSOL: RMB3,000 per month
The enrollment status is based on the semesters of the host institutions. Students enrolled before the 15th (or 15th) of the month of admission will be entitled to full compensation for that month. Students enrolled after the 15th of the month are only entitled to half of the scholarship.
The livelihood for the month of graduation is granted half a month later after confirmation of the final status by the host institutions.
During the study period, the scholarship will be suspended during the absence of students who have not been in China for more than 15 days for personal reasons (excluding public holidays). The allowance will be terminated in the event of interruption of training or withdrawal for personal reasons.
Comprehensive health insurance is acquired by the host institutions in accordance with the provisions of the Chinese Ministry of Education for international students. The insurance fee per person is 800 RMB per year.
Applicants for the scholarship program (category 1, 2, 3) are subject to an annual performance review. Only those who have outstanding academic and Chinese language skills are eligible for a full scholarship for the following year; those who achieve average academic records are eligible for partial scholarships; the others are no longer eligible for scholarships. Partial scholarships consist of tuition, accommodation costs and comprehensive health insurance. The one-year and one-semester study programmers must complete a Chinese proficiency test before graduation. The test fee will be refunded by the host institutions.
How to Apply: Click the link below to apply